May 2, 2007

How do YOU want to be remembered?

Well, it's been another month of exciting-ness and not updating blogs in Devora-land. Never fear, though, because the semester is nearly over and excitement and Important Life Experiences are occurring at an astonishing rate! And it will all be chronicled here! So if you've been disappointed by the infrequency of posts the past few months, stay tuned this week, because there will be not one, but several updates detailing my most recent adventures.

Starting with the movie premiere I attended on Saturday night. As some of you may know, my uncle, Tony Wilson, has been working on The Final Season, an indie film chronicling the final season of Norway, IA's high school baseball team that won an astonishing 20 state championships and also sent a handful of players off to the major leagues before the district was consolidated by the school board. It stars Sean Astin, Rachel Leigh Cook, Powers Boothe and, of course, Tom Arnold. Anyway: the film made it to the Tribeca Film Festival, which my uncle, his family, the 'big' producers, the stars, and a long line of hopefuls all attended Saturday night.

I received a call at work Saturday afternoon from my cousin, who told me that they had an extra ticket for the premiere and would love it if I could come. As you can imagine, I did everything in my power to make sure that I got to leave early to get to Tribeca, to the point where I began to feel a bit like Cinderella trying to get to the ball. But never fear, thanks to the fact that I ran from the subway around City Hall Park in my tall turquoise shoes, I got there just in time. Well .. as it turned out, the viewing was delayed by half an hour because Tom Arnold wouldn't stop talking to the press. But the show finally began, and let me just say, it was incredible. And I'm not just saying that because I'm related to one of the producers. I even got shivers up my spine and teared up near the end. The film was very well received by the audience, and is on the Festival's list of 'encounters,' movies which will provoke conversation. Hopefully the end result of all of this good press will be that a distributor takes on the movie so that it can be released to the general viewing public.

Below: the actors and director discuss the film.



After the movie, the stars made a grand appearance into the theater, and, along with the director, David Mickey Evans, sat onstage and anwered questions. Again, Tom Arnold did most of the talking, with Sean Astin and the director contributing a little bit and Powers Boothe and Rachel Leigh Cooke barely getting in a few words edgewise.

And after that, there was an after-party several blocks uptown on Broadway. Originally I wasn't going to go, because my beautiful turquoise shoes had given me some uncomfortable blisters and I had a lesson the next day, but my cousin, who had returned to the States from a year in Russia for the premiere, begged me to come along so that she'd have somebody to talk to. Not that one can do much talking at this sort of party, but this was the only chance I had to see her, since she was returning to Iowa at the end of the weekend.

So we walked uptown, much to my discomfort, and when we arrived, discovered that the party, which was in a loft, was only accessible by a freight elevator that held eight people at a time. And there was a long line of party-goers wanting to go in. But, because we were with the producers, we got to cut to the front of the line. Which was just as well, because by that time, the loft had nearly reached maximum capacity, and they weren't going to be letting many more people in.

It was quite an affair. There was loud music, an open bar, sushi, and a coat check, where I deposited my shoes. That may or may not have been a mistake, because I was then, beyond any doubt, the shortest person there, which wasn't exactly an advantage. At least no one stepped on me. Anyway, I didn't really know anyone besides my family, and my cousin was off talking to people anyway, so after a glass of wine and some milling about, I decided that the best thing would be for me to return to Brooklyn so that I wouldn't have a terrible lesson the next day. As soon as I decided this, however, some lady got on the mic and announced that Alex Band, former lead singer of The Calling and singer of the theme song from the movie, was going to perform for us. It was very tempting to stay, because the guy has a fantastic voice, particularly live, but my feet really hurt, and I had already said goodbye to my family.

So, I retreived my shoes and a goody bag from the coat check, took the freight elevator back down to street level, and then, after a good fifteen minutes of waving at cabs with passengers, finally found an empty one and rode back to Brooklyn.


Quick sidenote: Some additional information relating to my post are available via text links. Any time you see a bit of text in a different color - on my computer it's blue - you can click on it to go to an outside website and check out more fun/useful/interesting things.

No comments: