Sep 11, 2007

Update 2: Devora Does Iowa

For Update 1, go back one entry. If you've already read Update 1, then by all means, continue reading!!!







Well, as many of you know, I was in Iowa for 10 days in August, mostly to participate in my sister's wedding festivities. It was a very exciting time, and busy too.





I flew in the evening of August 3 (Friday), and the next day, along with Riva's friend Chrissie, held a wedding shower for Riva and Joe (her husband) at my mom's house. That night, as Joe was whisked off for some fun, Riva's attendants (which included me, her maid of honor) took her out for her own night of debauchery and hijinks.



Thursday was the rehearsal dinner. Before that, Riva, Chrissie and I, as well as our mom and Joe's mom, all went and had manicures and pedicures done at the local mall. The wedding rehearsal went spectacularly, at which time Riva figured out how she wanted things, and we timed out the processional for a purpose which I shall explain in a minute. Having practiced both processing and recessing a couple of times, we then went on to the rehearsal dinner, which was held at Greenbriar.







Now: despite my repeated offers to help Riva with wedding anything, the only thing she asked me to do was to help her with the string quartet. Specifically, she wanted a certain part of Canon in D to be occurring as she walked down the aisle, and it was my job to make sure that the processional got timed out in correctly in order to make that happen. Luckily, or mostly because of the string quartet, who was informed of this request, they began playing the specific part right as Riva started walking down the aisle. A small detail, yes, but a correct one! Good job string quartet!











Anyway, this seems as good a time as any to tell you about the wedding day itself. It had rained on the preceding days, so it was a relief to wake up on Friday to a perfect (though extremely hot) day. Riva and I ran some last-minute errands before we met the rest of her attendants for lunch at Stella's. Now, as anyone who has been to Stella's can tell you, one of the highlights of the visit is getting one of their yummy milkshakes poured onto your head! Of our bunch, only Emily was brave enough to get her milkshake poured on her head (and actually the waitress missed a little, but that's another story).





After lunch, us girls had appointments for updos, which were scheduled for 12:30. And this is
where the trouble began. See, apparently they had tried to call us to reschedule, since they had sent several girls off to lunch. So not everyone got started right away, which ended up throwing off the rest of the afternoon, ultimately causing Riva and her attendants to be nearly an hour late for pictures. But we sure looked fabulous!











The photographer, well, photographed, nearly right up until the wedding, which was held at Jester Park Lodge in Granger. I already told you about the string quartet, and thanks to a great rehearsal the night before, the wedding went very smoothly. Afterwards, everyone went indoors to the wonderful air conditioning (it was a very hot day!) and enjoyed an evening of dinner and dancing.









Sunday my mom and I went to the Iowa State Fair. Let me just say, in the past I've always thought that visiting the fair each year is a very boring endeavor. But when I tried to remember the last time I actually went to the fair, well, turns out it's been at least 7 years. And surely, I thought, going the first weekend would be more exciting than going the very last day. So, we went and had a great time. I took lots of pictures for all of my New York friends to gape at. The Des Moines Register had run an article on the latest Fair culinary marvel: the potato lollipop, which was only offered at a very few stands around the fairgrounds (I so would have gone and found them, had it not been so very HOT that day). I had forgotten how many foods one can get deep fried, on a stick, or both. Including, apparently, hard-boiled eggs.








We made the usual tours of the Butter Cow, the Varied Industries Building, and the animal barns, as well as checking out the Cultural Building and the Needlework Display, which is now bigger and better (and air-conditioned!) on the second floor of Varied Industries. And what is a visit to the State Fair without sampling all of the amazing food? We had Dippin' Dots, turkey tender sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs on sticks, chocolate chip cookies by the cup-ful, A&W rootbeer, Dairy Barn ice cream, and of course, yummy, yummy funnel cake. Now that is definitely one thing I've missed about going to the Fair!











The trip ended mid-afternoon, when both of us were too tired and hot to look at anything else. Besides the State Fair t-shirts we bought as souvenirs, I also brought home a rather painful sunburn to complete my memory of the day.









Sounds like fun, indeed.









The rest of the week, around wedding events, I spent some time catching up with friends and family, even managing to visit a couple of college friends I hadn't seen since graduation.







Not the most restful trip I've had, but certainly one of the most exciting!

No comments: