Sep 1, 2008

September cometh

Another embarrassingly long time since posting, I see. Ah well, things have been exciting and busy as usual.

Most recent happening: I *finally* finished submitting grades for summer session a few days ago. Eighty exams, plus an accompanying pile of last-minute submissions, is no easy mountain of paper to get through! Anyway, the majority of my students passed and actually did rather well.

Though I am not teaching this fall, I've heard rumored whispers that I'll be reappearing as Professor Geller in spring semester, '09. Something to look forward to.

In the meantime: last weekend I saw most of y'all in Iowa. I was back 4-ish days, which turned out to be almost exactly the right length of time (this time, at least) for a visit. I say this because it was just long enough to get away from New York, but not too long that I started to get anxious over all the work I had waiting for me when I got back. Obviously it would have been nice to see everyone a lot more than I did, but my life is in New York, after all.

As promised, Zadie made french toast for brunch on Sunday, and it was SO. GOOD. This was definitely one of the best parts of the weekend. I also got to see my cousin Jessica, who was back for about a month from being in Russia. Another interesting thing is that I made three lemon meringue pies from scratch, which were much admired by the people who proceeded to eat them!

I had quite a time leaving Des Moines, though- my outgoing flight was delayed several hours, which meant that Northwest had to rebook everyone on the flight. Instead of flying through Detroit and arriving in Brooklyn around 12:30, I flew through Minneapolis, had a 3 hour layover, and arrived in Brooklyn around 3.

The following three pictures depict what I did to pass the time in Minneapolis:

Upon my return, there was much grading, of course. There was also a really good interview (I think) with an after-school teaching program at an elementary school near Brooklyn College. I won't find out if I got the job for another few weeks, though.










I made dinner for my friends one night, and made another lemon meringue pie which was also perfect.

The most interesting thing, though, is the talk I had with my advisor last week. As some of you know, this year will be interesting for me because I'm not in school and not looking for a grown-up job. Instead, I'll be applying for admission to doctoral programs, and with any luck, will begin work on my phd in the fall of 2009. Anyway: my advisor and I were discussing doctoral programs, and she'll be helping me through the application process.

Some schools I'll be looking at:


Columbia
UC Davis
Wash U
Michigan
Bowling Green
CUNY Grad Center (backup)

Eeek! This is kind of scary and exciting all at the same time. These are some of the top-notch programs in the country, and my advisor actually thinks I can get in. I hope I get in!

As I rapidly approach the quarter century (only 8 days away), it occurs to me that I have absolutely none of the things in life by which most other people measure happiness and success: a husband, a family, a 'real' job, etc. I do, however, have a master's degree, an ever-growing number of friends, admirers, adoring fans and well-wishers, and a hell of a lot of prospects in my very near future. And happiness.

Happiness is something which is definitely NOT underrated.

Anyway- happy Labor Day to all! It was wonderful to see all of you last weekend, and I look forward to the next time around!

No comments: