Jun 20, 2009

assiduousness

Oh dear. It's been longer than it ever has. eeep.

The Life of Devora has been busy, yet uninteresting. I suppose I really should post, though.
bk phil drums
  • work: The Harmony school year ended June 1 with a concert in Levinson Hall at Brooklyn College. The kids performed really well. It was a great way to end a productive year. Starbucks goes on; I am still supervising, and getting vastly better at it. Someday soon (as in, probably this fall) I'll be moving on to better things; in the meantime, it's pretty nice to have health insurance and that sort of thing.
  • travel: I returned to Iowa in April, and saw most of you while I was back. It was long past time for a visit, and I really enjoyed most everything about being back. Including the fact that no one really ate either my couscous or my risotto, thereby leaving more for me! It also seems I have no pictures from this visit, so nothing else to say here :(
  • music: I played a show at the beginning of the month at Barbes in Park Slope. My friend Whitney George wrote a tango for solo violin at my request, which I made her rewrite because it wasn't difficult, or tango-y enough. But the rewrite was just perfect, and the audience adored the piece. I'll be performing it again next month, as I have two shows in July. After that I'll be getting ready to re-enter the world of academia, as I'll be beginning my second Master's degree in August, this time in musicology.
  • personal ramblings: Well, since my last post in-gasp- February, I have also told most of you about my boyfriend Nick. We've known each other a year and a half. He is finishing his Master's degree in composition at Brooklyn College. His first year was my second/last year doing my M.M. We continue to be friends, and began casually dating in late September. There really wasn't much to tell at that point, but things are going really well, which is why I am now telling!!
Anyway. These days I mostly live at his place, which is now passably clean and ... well, more domesticated than it was ten months ago. We like cooking together, and make really outrageously good meals. Last night, for example, we wanted to use up leftover rice. So I made (homemade) basil pesto-stuffed chicken cutlets, served over the rice with a homemade tomato cream sauce and homemade french silk pie for dessert. Did I mention that I made everything myself?? It was really really good! And of course there are no pictures. And then there's the risotto/basil/onion/feta/cheddar omlettes I make, which are soooo delicious. Someday I will return to Iowa and make all of this yummy food for you. We planted an herb garden about a month ago, because we like to use fresh herbs. It has done very well on Nick's fire escape, as you can see.

The big bunch on the left is mint. The stringy stuff in the middle is cilantro, and the stuff on the right is sweet basil. The plants are all doing really well. Especially the mint, which has happily taken off since being planted in our window box a month ago. The cilantro and one of the basil plants were, until recently, overshadowed by a rather large geranium (so I wanted a flowering plant). Tonight I repotted the geranium in its own svelte pot, and added a third basil plant to the window box. Hopefully the cilantro and basil will catch up with the mint; to be fair, Nick and I LOVE basil, and have made very good use of our plants since we bought them.

Epilogue: The geranium moved to the living room, where it has taken up residence near a very nice fern plant. The window box has returned to its place on the fire escape, next to a partially depleted lemon verbena plant. Two respectable pots of begonias keep a weather eye out the dining room window; the spider plant tends to look upon them a bit reproachfully, although the leafy plant on the dining room table has expanded in two directions, as if welcoming the begonias anyway with outspread arms.

1 comment:

Riva said...

With all the time you have for whipping up elaborate culinary creations, one might think you could make a little more time for your dearly neglected little blog! :)